Data insight and strategy to make RNIB’s raffle the best in Britain
Woods Valdata and RNIB work together, using data insight, to plan a new successful pathway to turn around a declining raffle programme.
The RNIB raffle was in ‘managed decline’. New volume had not been recruited to the raffle for many years. New players were coming on board through cross-sell but not at a volume to stem the decline. In light of a changing economic backdrop, Woods Valldata challenged the situation and together with the RNIB internal insights team we used data to determine what the coming years would look like for the raffle and how the situation might be turned around. Newly enthused, RNIB wanted to make their raffle the best in Britain.
- Secondary benefits to running the raffle highlighted such as legacy prospecting demonstrating high lifetime value of programme
- Clear strategic pathway to grow and develop raffle created
- Supporter first data model and selection enacted
The RNIB raffle programme was in ‘managed decline’, a strategic decision made when the acquisition focus of fundraising was on regular giving. But in a changed environment post pandemic and moving into a cost-of-living crisis, where supporters are responding to regular giving asks with one off gifts, was this still the best strategic decision? Woods Valldata and RNIB workshopped what the raffle meant for RNIB and for their supporters. We used data to look at what the impact of seeing ‘managed decline’ through meant, not just for raffle, but for the wider income potential across products and supporter opportunities for players. And it became clear that raffle needed to be part of the fundraising mix. We needed to turn managed decline into programme growth – with the ambition to become the biggest raffle programme in Britain.
Data insights formed the foundation of decisions to be made. We needed to make sense of the information we had to ensure we formulated the most effective plan for RNIB to reach their ambition. This required a partnership approach, working together with RNIB’s internal fundraising team and insights team. We recommended a staged approach including data analysis projects and multi-stakeholder workshops to agree an action plan based on evidence from the data.
Together, Woods Valldata and RNIB worked through 4 key stages to create a comprehensive plan to meet the new raffle ambition.
1. Define the goals and objectives
Working together in a workshop environment, using data analysis and insights prepared before, we understood the opportunity open to us and set clear, achievable, measurable objectives.
2. Gather additional knowledge
Gaining an understanding of the raffle players enabled us to plan in the best way possible with the supporter experience at the centre of decisions. This would in turn lead to greater income potential, increased loyalty and ongoing return on investment (ROI).
3. Use the insights
An Impact / Effort Matrix was used to plot actions across quick wins and longer-term developments. This allowed us to create a prioritisation and action plan to focus our energy into the most effective areas to deliver short-term and longer-term results. These included:
- Growth of player volumes through warm conversion and cold multi-channel acquisition
- Selecting the best data for each and every raffle and using it intelligently to engage players
- Maximising response, play rates and lifetime value via best-in-class supporter journeys
- Utilising known raffle best practice levers to maximise gift, response and lifetime value
4. Data strategy
This was at the root of achieving our objectives and goals. It was vital to the success of the prioritisation and action plan we had agreed. Our key data strategy approaches were to:
- Define a new data selection process and models to maximise volumes and response for raffle
- Develop an acquisition programme to build players
- Apply the data to the new supporter journeys, products and channels to encourage loyalty, maximise response and gift across audiences
- Apply data-led new creative and incentives to support
- Consider the ask strategy
- Explore the thanking approach
What our client had to say
“Woods Valldata have been our trusted partners for many years. They challenged us to look again at the potential of the raffle and worked in partnership with us, providing a structure and a process that got us quickly and efficiently to a clear prioritisation and action plan based on data insight.”Andrea Jones
Head of Individual Giving, RNIB
“Woods Valldata are truly an extension of our fundraising team. They have worked alongside us to help deliver a best-in-class data-strategy and programme-strategy for the raffle and we’re thrilled with the impact this has already made – just one raffle into the programme!”Andrea Jones
Head of Individual Giving, RNIB